Wednesday 24 April 2019

Blood & Plunder




Ahoy me hearties.

Which is something i'm pretty sure real Pirates never said but I guess the people to ask would be those at Firelock Games who are responsible for Blood and Plunder a 28mm scale skirmish game set in the golden age of piracy.

Now the Blood and Plunder setting is slightly different then your normal pirate adventure.  You wont find the Kraken guarding Davy Jones' locker, nor will you find long lost ships crewed by ghostly visages.  The folks at Firelock have gone with a much more historical setting for their game.  Here you will find units of Spanish Lanceros, French Boucaniers and other aptly named troops fighting it out on both land and sea.

If you are even just slightly interested in this fascinating period of history then I thoroughly recommend taking the trip to the Firelock Games website page where you will find more than enough information and videos on how the game plays.

I started my interest in Pirates way back to when Wargames Foundry started releasing their range of Pirate figures.  Of course these now seem much more like Hollywood  styled Pirates, which there is nothing wrong with, compared to the gritty look of the Firelock Games models.

I signed up on a standing order system to receive every single set of Wargames Foundry Pirates as and when they were released.  I wrote up my own rules, loosely based on the Western 'Rules with no Name' system and off I went.

Fast Forward a few years and those figures I spent so long painting have been re-homed to make room for other goodies.

Of course this was not the end of my fascination and I had been building up a large collection of books to draw inspiration from.

With the release of the Blood and Plunder range and rules set it signalled a time for me to restart my Pirate collection.


















1 comment: