Tuesday 30 January 2018

Building - A Frozen Planet for Infinity




Oh the weather outside is frightful
but the fire is so delightful
and since we've no place to go
let it snow! let it snow! let it snow!


It seemed to me that just about every infinity table out there seems to consist of either shipping containers or full on urban settings. Not that there is anything wrong with that and I too have a full on city set up, which I will post pictures of too.  However I wanted to do something a little different and include more natural elements.  

So after watching 'The Thing' and looking forward to its board game release I opted for a snow covered outpost.  Not Full on arctic conditions but more like how I imagine places like Canada would look.  Apologises to any Canadians as I have never been to your country I just have this image of large trees and white snow in my mind.

I ordered a bunch of terrain from sarissa-precision to build my proposed outpost / research facility. 

I really like the sarissa stuff and have used it as a basic shell for other terrain builds and will continue to do so in the future.  It goes together really well and the delivery time is excellent.

I knocked up a quick test piece to see if I was happy with my snow and ice theme.  Of course I had to add 'Unit 57' somewhere.  



For the snow I used a mixture of PVA and plaster.  
The red stripe was to add a bit of colour and I rather like the contrast between red and green (the green will come from the trees).

Next I marked out a quick 4' x 4' area on my work table to see if I had enough bits to make it look busy enough.   I added some simple snow drifts to add variety.  It become apparent very quickly that I needed more trees.  A lot more.

I was really happy with the height of the trees as it helped break up fire corridors from the highest points on the table.


I continued building up the snow on the different structures.




More trees arrived, some much smaller which filled in gaps left by larger trees.

 I used a simple white cloth to lay out the elements I had finished on.  

And added some really big trees to the mix to even further break up fire corridors from the elevated positions.



Overall I was pretty happy with the layout and love the contrast between the snow and the trees.  Its a fun layout to play on but does has one minor drawback.  The white plaster powder does come off slightly if you rub the terrain so I probably should have put a bit more thought into how I was going to tackle that.  Also I am not sure that I want to base figures up on snow textured bases so it does really limit its use somewhat.  However it was fun to do.


As promised, a quick picture of my more regular city table.






2 comments:

  1. Some excellent looking scenery, well executed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, I really appreciate that and I really enjoy your blog too. I often refer to your ‘Why I undercoat Austrians Black’ article for inspiration.

      Delete