Sunday 24 December 2017

VSF - Preparing for the Mars Invasion




Re-basing my Victorian Science Fiction Collection.



I have been meaning to re-base my Victorian Science Fiction stuff for a while now and been putting it off on a regular basis.

However I am pleased to say that I have finally finished procrastinating over it and made some progress.

Originally my models were all bases on metal 1p sized bases.  Which was okay for a while and served a purpose.  Ultimately though I changed my mind and decided I wanted to play more games on Mars.  This would allow me to go to town with Alien races and architecture.  It would also have a few other benefits, including;

  • It would provide a standard base size that would be easy to replicate.
  • Plastic bases were slightly larger and would allow the bigger figures to fit on better.
  • Desert themed bases would make the blue of the Prussians stand out more.
  • I could attach magnets underneath the plastic bases making them easier to store and transport.
So I set about cutting the figures from the metal bases, trimming away the cast on bases around the models feet and pinning them to Plastic bases painted to match my Desert themed table and terrain.

Once pinned to their new bases I repainted the boots to hide any marks I had made with the clippers.

I added some grass tufts to some of the bases but left the majority as just sand.

You may be wondering why I did not add red foliage considering these figures are destined for Mars, well the answer is that I wanted to also have the option to have these figure fight on Earth in Egypt where our story-line indicates one of the missing 'Keys of Power' is believed to be.

The new and old style basing together.

Its taken a while but once you get going its not to bad and I am really happy with how its starting to look.  The basing colour seems to work really well and its a good colour match to both my terrain and mat.


So far I have most of my Prussian Force done including a horde of 50 Termians.  I will do a feature on the Native races in our campaign in due course.  

So far my little Prussian army consists of;

60 Riflemen
30 Grenadiers
30 Navy
50 Termians
9 Lancers
5 Helicopter Shock Troupes
10 Clanks
2 Armour Cars
1 Armoured Penifarthing
1 Tank
and a collection of Officers and hangers on. 









I still have more figures to re-base and I found some Prussians I still have to paint.

Its been fun getting the VSF buzz going again and after I move house I will be looking towards getting the rest of the models re-based and probably finishing off some of the painting I have to do.





3 comments:

  1. They look great - cant wait to see them in action!
    Always love a good scrap on the Red Planet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Unit 57,
    Just waiting for a chance for the Italians to show their metal.
    Happy new year, Horseartillery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you too.

    I have a good feeling that 2018 will see the hostilities on Mars erupt once more.

    I for one, can’t wait.

    ReplyDelete