Thursday 18 November 2021

Macedonian Army Part 10


Hypaspists and a start on the left flank


I managed to get some Hypaspists done.   With these I went with 5 models per base to help represent that they fought in a more open order than the Sarissa Phalanx.   They can still form a Phalanx, all be it with shorter spears.



I was not really 100% sure on how to do the shields.   I know they were armed with Greek style large shields, but I am not sure on the shield designs.

I decided to opt for Macedonian Phalanx shield designs on my Hypaspists, mainly because I decided that when I get around to adding Greek Mercenaries, I want them to have Greek shield designs and to stand out from the Macedonian troops.



I have no idea if this is historically correct, but I kind of like the look of them.

The Hypsapists are elite infantry and fill the gap between the Companion Cavalry and the Sarissa Phalanx.

 

After that I quickly knocked out a unit of Mercenary Cavalry.  They are Greek Cavalry which I figured could form a portion of the Left flank.



To help show them apart from the Companion Cavalry I added a couple of extra colours.

Yellow and Bronze.  The Bronze I used on breast plates and the yellow and I added to some of the clothing and some of the helmets.  I also used red on a few of the helmets too.   None of my Macedonian troops have red or yellow helmets and I figured these little additions would help separate these from the Companion Cavalry.   To add to the effect, I also based these a little different.  From what I could find out these fought in a square formation.

I couldn’t do a square with the footprint size I wanted to use so instead went for a rectangle.  What do you think?

 

So, my little army is growing and currently looks like this.  I will need to order more figures to complete this army.


Next up I have some Mercenary Infantry to do.   I could do these 4 bases deep too but I kind of like the idea of smaller units to help emphasise how large the Phalanx is.



I still want these smaller units to look like they have a decent number of men in them though.  I am currently looking at 4 bases each of 6 men, so units of 24 models.

From memory these models are Successor Thureophoroi Infantry.  I don't mind and they add a nice difference in appearance to the other infantry.

I have enough figures to do 2 units of 24 men.  I will probably add some command figures to these because I like how it looks with an obvious leader in the units.



No comments:

Post a Comment