Thursday 14 October 2021

Macedonian Army Part 3

 


The Pointy End of the Stick

 

In recent times I have seen lots of people using broom bristles for spears and the like.  So off I went to the local hardware store to find something that would fit the bill.

Scouring the isles for what felt like ages and manhandling more bristles then I dare to admit I ended up empty handed.  Lots of natural product bristles but none that were thick enough and long enough for what I was after.

Having done some Darkest Africa models in the past I knew I had some 28mm steel Javelins spare.  You know the sort, the ones that are terrifying to most armchair generals on account of them being incredibly sharp and pointy.

Using a small pin vice I drilled holes for all the metal spears I would use to represent Sarissa.  I opted for 50mm length weapons.   I know they should probably be a little bit longer but 50mm was the length I had and it also saved me having to cut down the 100mm thin spears.


These things seem pretty hard to find these days.  I think the ones I have came from North Star Miniatures but they now seem to be unavailable.

If anyone knows where I can get my hands on any more please let me know.

 

Once the Sarissa were glued in place I used blu-tac to attach the figures to popsicle sticks.  Initially I used hot glue but the figures didn't stay on to well.

Using the pop sticks it would allow me to handle the figures easier whilst painting.



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment