Thursday 28 October 2021

Macedonian Army Part 8

 

Phalanx


5 blocks of Sarissa armed infantry done, well almost.  I have a standard bearer and a musician left to paint.  All the spear tips to do and of course texture the bases and that will be 320 figures done.

 

I have decided to stick to 5 units because I have run out of both figures and metal spears.  Also sticking to 5 units should mean my total army frontage will be about 3' long.   This should leave enough room for some manoeuvring and allow for possible flank attacks.


I used shield decals from Little Big Men Studios

They are great little decals although I did find it easier to peel back and then replace the plastic covering before cutting them out.  This seemed to just loosen the bond enough to allow the plastic covering to be easily removed from each tiny individual disk.



I really like the red shields.  I had to paint the rims and rear of the shields and for this used Citadel Evil Sunz Scarlet.  I also added a Hero looking model to the front rank.  I am not sure this would be historically accurate but I liked the model.


For the shield decals with the image of Alexander I used Citadel Xereus Purple to neaten up the edges in the same way I did with the red shields.

I found these particular decals didn’t sit as nicely on the curved shield surface as the other designs did.

 

So far, I am really enjoying this little journey into Ancients.

I am going to keep plodding along with the Macedonian army despite those Elephants in the India army looking very tempting.

No comments:

Post a Comment