Sunday 1 October 2023

New Brighton Part 1

New Brighton is the capital city in the Victorian Science Fiction Campaign that we started up some time ago now.   The campaign is set on both Earth and Mars during the height of the Victorian Empire.  War rages across both planets as both Humans and Martians are drawn into the fight.  Earth forces have long established settlements on the red planet and have drawn inspiration from their home world during their construction.  Flying ships called Aeronefs, or Nefs for short rule the skies and also provide important transport networks to supply smaller outposts.

The buildings I plan to do for this will be able to be used for both settings and also some of them would be usable in more conventional historical games.

As Nefs are the main form of transport in this alternative setting it seems only appropriate that we start this with an Aeronef Station.  Thankfully I have this rather large 3D printed building that has been gathering dust.  Just the thing to demonstrate my painting technique.

The first thing is to undercoat the model.   I use spray paint for this.

My first bit of advice is to use colours that are also available in pots of paint.  This way it is really easy to cover up overspray.  I gave the entire model a spray coat of Army Painter Leather Brown.  I use this colour a lot and it's my go-to for the base coat of brickwork.

Once that is dry enough to handle the model I then go through and use spray paint to pick out the other areas.  In this case Death Guard Green by Citadel for the roof and steelwork and Mechanicus Adeptus Grey for the areas that will become off-white.  I then go over the grey areas with Wraith Bone Spray, also by citadel.

All the colours used so far are also available in individual paint pots.






It doesn't take long for the primer coats to dry here, and I like to work on a few buildings at a time.

The second building is going to be a bank or something similar.

Clean up all the overspray using a big cheap brush and the relevant colours.  Leather Brown, Death Guard Green or Wraith Bone.   The brush that I use is a really cheap flat hobby paintbrush that I picked up from the local hardware store.  Doing two buildings at the same time allows the paint enough time to dry before moving on to the next colour.



I decided that the roofs would look better in tarnished copper.  so gave them a quick wet-brush with metallic copper paint.   Any metallic copper will do.   Once that is dry, I gave the roofs and steelwork a coating army painter quickshade.  I used this as it was a cheaper option than using Agrax Earthshade and over here the stuff dries pretty fast.

In hindsight, I could have done this before touching up the overspray on the wraithbone but at the time my initial idea was to do green roofs.  Oh well, sometimes it's good to just go with things on the fly.

Now just time to let these dry.


No comments:

Post a Comment