Sunday 17 September 2023

 

All about the Base.


For the basing on the models in this project I started by covering the wooden bases with fine sand that I passed through a sieve.   I do this to filter out any unwanted elements and debris that can end up in the sand over time.

Once the sand has been firmly glued down, I use Desert Yellow spray to put down the initial layer of colour.

After that is Skeleton Bone spray.  I spray from an angle around the edges to get paint on the rim of the base and to also fade off a bit as it goes towards the centre of the base.  Once the figures are in place it will help to create a natural shadow beneath the models.

The next step is to use Wraithbone spray.  Again, I spray at an angle to get paint on the rim and to also allow the paint to fade away as it gets more towards the centre of the base.

A good thing to do is to move your bases away from where you have sprayed them to check their colour.  They will look different on different backgrounds; it can be hard to judge their colour when they are surrounded by overspray.

These bases are for the mobs that can potentially invade the track.  I have done these as round bases to help emphasise that this will move in any direction and are not restricted to turning limitations like the chariots are.

The plan is to do maybe one or two bases with Roman Guards, obviously there to prevent riots and the remainder as a random number of Plebians.  I was thinking 10 Plebs to a base but that may be too regimental to portray a mob.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment